Wednesday, November 12, 2008

BIRTH


Today is the day Allah breathed life into my lifeless body. From his command came soul into my cadaver like light filtering through. Today is the day to be most grateful and obliged. Alhamdolilah, it is Allah who takes and gives existence. And today was the day he chose to send me to test and guide me.
There is no concept of celebrating birthdays in Islam. It is not only a waste of time but of money and resources as well. Rather, birthdays are like a reminder, an annual reality check. Are we doing what we are supposed to do? Are we thinking of Allah mian like we ought to? Are we grateful and indebted? Are we asking for forgiveness? Are we performing our duties?
Since a few years I have stopped celebrating my birthday and believe me it is one less extravagance in my life! And why is this one day so important in our lives anyway? We were born. O.k. so was everybody else. This is nothing but a psychological play of mind. Why should we feel important on just one day? We should on the contrary feel imperative everyday. Why, because we’re alive. We’re breathing and eating and our senses are working. What more reason can there be for feeling significant? And most of all, it is Allah who has chosen to keep us alive. He wants us to live for one more day, one more year. And this imperative day is spent on things totally the opposite of what the quran tells us.
One year has gone from my precious life whose every second is being recorded. Every minute and action is being noted down. And it saddens me that I haven’t spent a productive year. I have wasted this year on the same things I did in the previous year. So today I ask allah for a better year. A year which allows me to grow and improve myself. I not only learn from my mistakes but vow never to repeat them. I ask you to help me forgive those who have hurt me. I ask for my forgiveness too. I plead to become a more considerate child to my parents and their parents. I beg you to guide me all the time and to remember you at all times. I know your watching me as I write this, please just accept my prayers………..

3 comments:

windsofchange said...

i agree with you as far as praying for a better year and asking for your prayers to be heard is concerned. but maybe you're taking too dim a view of the whole idea of celebrating birthdays. true, birthdays ought to serve as a reality check, but in my opinion there's no reason that they shouldn't be celebrated. extravagance is a bad thing in any case. but to gather with your friends and family to celebrate all you've learned, the love and experience you've been lucky enough to accumulate over the years; and to celebrate life itself is not such a bad thing.

Sky High said...

It's your father seeker, who has inculcated this beleif in you, but it's good. Makes sense, Islam is about simple living, something we need to constantly remind ourselves of.
What pushes us into oblivion? what makes our sins seem so insignificant? What is it that causes temporary but prolonged bouts blindness when we see the truth in Him?
I'm trying to figure these questions out.

harry said...

extravagance and celebration are different. I agree with windsofchange that there is nothing wrong with celebrating this day with your loved ones.It is your day and it should be spent thanking allah but it should also be spent in the company of those who love you to remind you that you are still here