Friday, October 31, 2008

my veil


courtesy www.veer.com

iam veiled.my rab orders me to cover. his protective cloth covers my hair. it wraps every strand that would otherwise be chaotic. it gives my mind solace. it guards and shields from various forces. it reminds me of my lord and the duties that i must perform. if only every woman could enjoy the pleasure of being covered. the dignity and identity that it provides. the way it softens your heart and opens chambers for more. it keeps my thoughts in place. it grants me modesty. it lends me propriety. without it iam nothing. without my hijab iam like any other. it differentiates me. it lets others know who iam_it completes me.alhamdolilah.
'' o god! unto thee belongeth all praise. even as thou hast clothed me in this garment , i ask of thee the good thereof, and the good of that wherefor it hath been made, and i seek refuge in thee from the evil thereof, and the evil of that whereof it hath been made'' Abu Dawud
god! grant me the favour to use the dress which you have bestowed on me for the same purposes which you deem righteous. grant me the favour to cover my modesty with this dress and to protect my soul and body againest immodesty and shamelessness. grant me the favour to make it a means of adornment and grace for my body. god! grant me the favour to eschew displaying ostentation, pride or arrogance in dress and let me not transgress the bounds set by you in the use of dress by your slaves, both men and women.
in my younger years as a child i used to despise the hijab. i felt it as a trap. something that made you look ugly. my relatives used to take it and i used to detest it. my hair was my freedom. it was my beauty and my purpose of living. little do we know what awaits us. little did i know what allah had planned for me. iam now the same person who cannot live without it. my mind panics if a male servant enters and my hair is uncovered. little did i know that the real beauty lies in covering not revealing. and that is the real beauty that lies in the eyes of allah. and that is all that matters.
may allah give the guidance to each of us. may make us realise our sins. may allah give us what we need. may allah put the right sense in our minds. make us ponder and believe and obey. ameen

1 comment:

Sky High said...

Wow, so we have a latent writer here!